Wednesday 20 August 2014

To everyone who read my open letter to The Sun

Hi everyone,

I've just got back from the hospital after my first chemotherapy session. I'm ok although the nausea is starting to kick in. So please excuse this being quite brief. If I do feel well enough later I really want to get a post written about chemotherapy itself for my new friends who will be starting chemo very soon.

But I did just want to write a message to everyone who has taken the time to read my open letter to The Sun.

On Monday night I came home from my chemo information session at the hospital and decided I wanted my next blog post to be an open letter to The Sun. I really didn't think anyone would read it beyond the people who know me and are reading my blog anyway. I tweeted the link to @NoMorePage3 who retweeted it and the response has completely blown my mind! Over 7,000 people so far have read my original blog post. It has also been republished on Buzzfeed, and The Stir also wrote an article about it! There's now an article on The Debrief too! 

This was all completely unexpected. Overall the response I have received has been incredibly positive and supportive. A lot of people have told me that I put in to words what they had experienced themselves, and what they felt. I have had lots of kind messages of support for my treatment. And I am so very grateful. I want to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU! All of this made me feel very positive at a time when I would have otherwise been overwhelmed by anxiety.

My letter has sparked some debate. I normally like a good debate, but I just don't think I'm up to it right now. My focus has to be on getting well. So I will leave other people to continue the debate that the wonderful people at No More Page 3, and their 200,000 plus supporters, have been having for some time. 

I did just want to clarify a couple of things though. 

First of all, I am not against Coppafeel. Awareness raising is good. I support awareness raising about breast cancer, signs and symptoms, being breast aware. My issue is simply with using Page 3 as part of a breast cancer awareness campaign. That's my personal opinion, I know not everyone will agree. That's ok. This leads me on to my second point....

I generally avoid reading the comments below articles but I have spotted a few having a right go at me for what I wrote. I would just like to remind people that I am just a regular person who started a blog. I wrote my opinion down. I'm not a celebrity, or a campaigner, or a columnist - I'm not someone who normally has a loud voice. I didn't for a second expect it to get the attention it did. I guess it did get attention because it struck a chord. I don't know. Anyway, if you disagree with me, fine. But I'm not going to worry about it - I've got more important things to deal with right now.

For all the support though, thank you. It's meant a lot.

I'm now going to go and take one of the anti sickness tablets that they gave me!

Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment